Thursday, January 27, 2011
YOUR MONEY MATTERS: CHOOSING TO MAKE THE MOST OF IT
A Day of Free Personal Finance Workshops and Resources:
February 15, 2011; 8 am - 4 pm
At CCV, for CCV Students, Faculty and Staff
All Day: Free and Fast Tax Preparation
If your household income was less than $49,000 in 2010, make an appointment to have your taxes done at CCV. Call or email Lisa Jensen 922-6297 or email@example.com.
10-11am Protect Your Identity
Learn simple but important steps you can take to guard against fraudulent use of your personal information.
Presented by the New England Federal Credit Union
Afternoon workshops presented by Opportunities Credit Union:
12-12:30pm Want To Be An Enterpreneur?
Are you taking a business class with the goal of starting your own business?
Join Greg Huysman and learn the steps to self employment.
2-3pm Got Wheels?
If you own a car or are thinking of buying a car, join Caleb Arnold and calculate the true cost of owing a vehicle and ways to maximize your investment.
3-4pm I Can't Be Broke; I Still Have Checks Left!
Where does all your money go? Join Jane King, Financial Educator, to learn the most effective ways to manage your money.
4-5pm The Other Kind of Credit
Have you seen your Credit Report Lately? If not, join Jane King to learn the nuts and bolts of the often confusing world of credit.
SIGN UP FOR ANY OR ALL OF THESE WORKSHOPS AT THE RECEPTION DESK.
image by sushi♥ina
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
The US-UK Fulbright Commission is pleased to announce the opening of its competition for the 2011 UK Summer Institutes. Participants in these programmes will get the opportunity to experience an exciting academic programme at a highly regarded UK University, explore the culture, heritage and history of the UK and develop their academic ability by improving presentation, research and communication skills.
There are three Summer Programmes available for US students in 2011;
- Fulbright Commission Newcastle University Summer Institute
- Fulbright Commission Roehampton University London Summer Institute http://fulbright.co.uk/fulbright-awards/for-us-citizens/special-programmes/roehampton-university-london-summer-institute
- Fulbright Commission Wales Summer Institute
The Summer Institute will cover the majority of the participant costs. This includes round-trip airfare from the US to the UK, tuition and fees at the University, accommodation and social programme and subsistence e.g. food and drink
Participants in these programmes will get the opportunity to:
- Experience an exciting academic programme at a top ranked UK University
- Explore the culture, heritage and history of the UK, visiting museums, galleries, parks, castles and islands
- Develop their learning skills, improving presentation, research and communication skills
- Meet people from all over the world, make friends and experience life as a real student in the UK
- Become an ambassador for studying in the United Kingdom, and for the US-UK Fulbright Commission
- Develop their knowledge in the academic programme of their choice, be taught by world leaders in their field and in many instances receive credit they can transfer to their US University
Minimum eligibility for this programme; applicants need to:
- be a US citizen (resident anywhere except the UK) and possess a US passport;
- be at least 18 years old;
- be able to participate in the programme in its entirety;
- have a high level of academic achievement with a minimum GPA of 3.5 (confirmed by academic marks, awards and references);
- have completed no more than two years of university study; i.e. applicants should currently be a Freshman or Sophomore in college/university;
- be mature, responsible, independent, and open-minded;
- be willing and able to fully participate in an academically intensive programme that includes attending all sessions, completing all assignments, contributing to classroom discussions and supporting student ambassador style work as required;
- have had little or no study or travel experience in the UK or elsewhere outside of the US and;
- expect to return to the US and continue their education.
Note: The programme is open to students in all courses of study
For more information and application forms, please visit: http://www.fulbright.co.uk/fulbright-awards/for-us-citizens/summer-institutes
The application deadline is April 15, 2011
Thank you for sharing this with your students.
For more information contact:
Special Programmes Coordinator
The US-UK Fulbright Commission
T +44 (0)20 7498 4017
F +44 (0)20 7498 4023
image by James Trosh
Monday, January 24, 2011
Jean Cannon is one of four featured artists at Artist in Residence Gallery for the month of February.
Opening reception Thursday, February 3 5-8 pm
All are welcome! See Jean Cannon's recent paintings of the moon and trees.
The gallery is located at 349 Main Street, Enosburg Falls, Vermont.
Gallery hours are Weds. - Sat. 10am to 5pm, and Sundays 12-5pm.
The phone number is: 802-933-6403
Thursday, January 20, 2011
CCV Winooski is proud to present New Voices a film by the “New Women of Vermont” video class.
In the fall of 2010 a group of us Bhutanese refugee women took a ten-week course in video storytelling and production with local filmmaker Rebecca Weisman at the Community College of Vermont in Winooski. This twenty-minute video is the product of that class. The New Voice is that of newcomers to Vermont. Through the use of video, these women share with the people in Vermont the difficulties they face in daily lives, trying to communicate and live in a new place.
In conjunction with New Voices, CCV will also screen a selection of the work-in-progress documentary Welcome to Vermont by filmmaker Mira Niagolva. Together with the support of the Vermont Refugee Resettlement Program, an art exhibit of photos, maps, and written descriptions of the refugee experience will be on display.
The show opens on January 28th, 2011, with the first film showing at 6:30pm. An open discussion with the filmmakers will follow.
The event is free and open to the public.
Monday, January 17, 2011
Lynda Majarian's story 'crazy' is now featured online for Pif magazine!
You can check it out here:
Lynda is teaching Intro to Literature, Creative Writing, and English Composition this semester.
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Essex CHIPS and the MLK Day planning committee are excited to announce Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service 2011. In the spirit of Dr. King’s commitment to a united community we have decided to hold a day of volunteer service. The goal is to strengthen our support and commitment to each other and the place we live. We hope to do this by providing volunteer opportunities for community members at various sites in the Essex area on January 17th, 2011.
The Day of Service is an opportunity for members of the community to give back and to get involved with local organizations. We are contacting various schools and other organizations in the area to see who would be interested in volunteering with us on January 17th. For example, last year some of our service options included shoveling snow out from fire hydrants, writing letters to troops, and painting the locker room at Albert D. Lawton Middle School. Service projects will be occurring between 12 and 5pm in the Essex area. After community members complete their day of service, everyone will gather for a dinner and celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Anyone interested in volunteering can visit www.essexmlk.org to sign up! Questions? Please contact Claire Raudonat at firstname.lastname@example.org or 878-6982 ext. 7.
image by BlatantNews.com
Friday, January 7, 2011
The Vermont Council on World Affairs is hosting a panel discussion on February 8th and you're invited!
"Reporting Live from War Zones:
Journalists Tell Their Stories from the Front Lines"
A panel discussion with:
Sam Hemingway and Ryan Mercer (Burlington Free Press)
Steve Zind (VPR)
Darron Perron and Lance McKenzie (WCAX)
Louis Salome, retired foreign correspondent and author
Moderator: Mark Johnson, (WDEV)
8:00 p.m., Champlain College, Alumni Auditorium Campus Map #27 Co-sponsored by Champlain College
image by US Mission Canada