Thursday, October 2, 2008

Meet Donavon Davidson - Learning Center Tutor

In the coming weeks, we will be posting short autobiographies of the fabulous tutors who are working in Burlington’s Learning Center (110 Cherry Street, Room 204). The first installment of this series comes from Donavon Davidson who works on Mondays from 10am – 4pm and Tuesdays from 10am – 2pm during the fall semester (no appointment necessary).



I was born and raised in Indiana. While living there I received a Bachelors of Music in Music Theory/Composition from Ball State University. Before Graduating I was honored with an award of “Best Original Score” for the theatre’s production of Othello. After graduating I toured the Midwest and New England performing in various ensembles. I am classically trained in the alto saxophone and classical guitar. I have also spent many years studying Shakuhachi and Japanese notation.

Although I have a life long love of music, I have also been an admirer and student of poetry for over twenty years. Since moving to Vermont over thirteen years ago I decided to attend graduate school. In 2007 I graduated from Goddard College with an MFA in Creative Writing (my primary interest being poetry as well as creative and critical writing pedagogy). I have been published in many journals, and I am currently working on a manuscript.

I enjoy tutoring and teaching because I firmly believe that a strong command and creative use of language is an integral part of an individual’s self-confidence and success in life. It is also a great pleasure to watch students get excited about their creative sides and express their unique voices. Another reason in which I enjoy writing, and this may be surprising, is that I continue to learn. Aside from writing and teaching, I am also a published photographer.



Want to know more about the Learning Center, including a full schedule of services? If so, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger