TITLE: Tour Marketing and PR Assistant
Staffing Classification: Seasonal
Reports To: Director of External Relations and Marketing
Director FLSA Status:
Date Approved: 2.21.14 Signature:
JOB SUMMARY: (What is done and why.)
Circus Smirkus seeks a smart, organized, energetic person with strong social media, writing and photo/video skills,
experience in volunteer management and interest in Circus or performance to work in collaboration with our marketing
department during the 2014 Big Top Tour.
The position starts at the beginning of June and ends in Mid-late August. The Assistant will join Tour staff at our
headquarters in Greensboro, VT in June and then travel with the Big Top Tour throughout New England and New York
during its 7-week, 15 city tour during July and August, ending back in Greensboro in mid-August
A seasonal stipend will be provided.
Room and Board are provided. Meals are provided from Smirkus’ famed Pie Car which provides three square meals a day
made from scratch from local ingredients.
The Tour Marketing and PR Assistant will work closely with Circus Smirkus marketing team, including the Director of
Marketing and the Director of External Relations, and the Marketing/PR assistant to provide support for the exposure of
the brand through blogging, social media, and the publishing, monitoring and archiving of images, video and other
content. The Assistant will also handle and coordinate Press on-site during the 7 week tour.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Majority of duties, but not meant to be all-inclusive nor prevent other duties from
being assigned as necessary.)
1. Produce and edit photos, video and written content.
2. Provide photos, video and written content daily to Marketing Director and Director of External relations to
publish on social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, the Big Top Tour Blog, and Smirkus YouTube
3. Act as primary content provider for the 2013 Big Top Tour Blog.
4. Research and provide content for the CS e-newsletter.
5. Act as press liaison on site.
6. Coordinate photo and press opportunities.
1. Monitor the brand in social media, the press, and internal communications to ensure consistency and compliance
with brand standards.
2. Track current events in the industry.
3. Track media coverage throughout the season.
1. Update and maintain photo, video and media contact databases.
2. Update and maintain media coverage archive.
Additional Duties as assigned: Tour Assistance
1. As part of the Big Top Team, you may be asked to assist in the set-up and tear down of the bunk lot at the
discretion of the Circus Operations Director. Duties may include but are not limited to: setting and leveling
bunkhouses, running hoses and electrical cords, setting up dishwashing station, setting up picnic tables and
2. Drive company vehicle.
3. Other jobs as needed.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE: (Minimum education, experience, technical and communication skill levels
and licenses/certificates normally required to perform the duties of this position.)
1. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
2. Experience with/interest in social media.
3. Above average photography skills.
4. Basic photo and video editing skills.
5. Persuasive, organized, creative thinker.
6. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines.
7. Ability to be flexible, positive, take initiative and demonstrate good judgment
8. Ability to maintain confidentiality and follow-through on tasks and projects.
9. Some college education is strongly preferred.
10. Desktop publishing and some HTML knowledge would be helpful but HTML experience is not required.
11. Experience with non-profit organizations is highly desirable, though not required.
12. Interest in Circus and performing arts is preferred.
WORKING CONDITIONS: (Typical working conditions associated with this type of work and environmental
Internal Work is normally conducted in an office environment.
External: work requires travel throughout Vermont and surrounding states while on summer tour.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: (The physical effort generally associated with this position.)
Work involves standing, walking, bending, kneeling, reaching, stooping, hearing and communicating effectively. Work
may include occasional pushing, pulling or carrying equipment.
Supervision is received from the Director of External Relations and the Director of Marketing.
To be considered for this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested parties please include:
• Cover letter
• Samples of relevant work (PDF or URL)
• Completed Circus Smirkus Employment Application
Circus Smirkus is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender,
gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.